Removing Email from the Server with Muiltiple Devices
If you check your email on multiple devices you will want to make sure that email isn't downloading and deleting from the server right away. You still want it to delete from the server (or your mailbox will get full and you won't be able to get any emails) so here are the settings you need in place:
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
- Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
- Select your account, and then click Change.
- Click More Settings.
- Click the Advanced tab, and under Delivery, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server check box.
Select one of the following options:
- Suggested: Remove from server after x days: E-mail messages are downloaded to your computer but remain on the e-mail server for the number of days that you specify. This is the most common setting for people who want to read their messages at work but also download them for permanent storage on their home computer. We recommend that you choose the smallest number of days that suits your needs. The longer you leave messages on your e-mail server, the greater the risk of exceeding your mailbox size quota. If your not sure, try 5-7 days.
- Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items': E-mail messages are downloaded to your computer but also remain on the e-mail server indefinitely until you delete the e-mail message in Outlook and empty the Deleted Items folder. Just deleting the message doesn't remove the message from the e-mail server.
- Click OK, and then click Finish.
For more help with outlook visit this link: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/outlook-help/leave-e-mail-messages-on-your-e-mail-server-HA001150793.aspx Once at that page scroll down and click on POP3 e-mail accounts and you will find the above instructions with more detail as well as screen captures.
For iPhone, iPad, and iPod:
- In Settings, select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select the account for which you wish to change the settings.
- Select Advanced, located at the bottom of the list.
- Select the Delete from server option.
- Choose Seven days from the pop-up menu.
- Press the Home button to return to the Home screen.
For more help with iPhone and iPad visit this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3228 Once at that page scroll down and click on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch Mail and you will find the above instructions with more detail as well as screen captures.